Literacy Hour Activities
Call my Bluff - challenging word definition game.
Spelling Test 1 - their / there / they're quiz.
Spelling Test 2 - spot the easily misspelled words in this story.
Spelling Test 3 - are / our / hour quiz.
Literacy Quiz - do your best with this challenging test.
Plurals Quiz - test your spelling with this tricky quiz.
Story Maker - try the interactive story generator.
- Dorling Kindersley Eyewitness Guides - all their books are online now!
- Wordcentral - excellent games, puzzles and a cipher machine - Great!
- Rhyming Dictionary - perfect poetry - you'll never be stuck for ideas again!
- Websters Dictionary - fast and accurate resource.
- Wordsmyth English Dictionary - superb
- Roget's Online Thesaurus - massive database of words - Excellent.
- Connected Thesaurus - extremely powerful but complicated.
- Guardian Century - The last 100 years news as reported by the Guardian Newspaper - Essential site for History or language study.
Other literary web sites
- Listen & Write - excellent BBC site - try their challenges and send in your work!.
- Everything you wanted to know about Haiku - don't make any without reading this first!
- 200+ Proverbs - Good!
- Wacky Web Tales - make up a silly story here.
- Kids News - online writing site - superb
- Crazy Story Maker - another story machine on the web.
- Sunshine - very good literacy resources.
- National Year of reading & Authors Online - try their challenges.
- The Literacy Trust - activites and ideas.
- Literacy activities - by Ginn and Heineman - educational publishers.
- Kids on the net - fun writing activites.
- Guess the word - ace word definition game.
- Online Picture Dictionary - letters, pictures & Internet links.
- Childrens Literature Website - many great ideas and links.
- Online Books Database - read hundreds of books on the Internet.
- The Readin! - fantastic reading ideas - links around the world!
- Nikolai's Bookshelf - lots of online writing activities.
- Babelfish - European Languages translator - explore sentence construction, spelling and common sounds in French, German, Spanish, Italian & Portuguese!
- Stories from the age of fairy tales
- Aesop's Fables
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
- Bedtime stories
- Story books online
- Deep in the bush - stories from Africa.
- Disney stories.
Popular author's web sites
- Complete poetical works by Wordsworth
- Authors on the web
- Harry Potter books by Scholastic - information about this popular series.
- "Dr Seuss" - popular site with many games and activities.
- The Enid Blyton Website - information and activities.
- "Treasure Island" - read the story online - with activities!
- Roald Dahl Pages - all about this popular children's writer.
- Winnie the Pooh
- Beatrix Potter - discover Peter Rabbit Online! or try peterrabbit.com
- Eric Carle - the author of "The Very Hungry Caterpillar"
- Oxford Reading Tree - a popular series of books.
- Puffin Books - reviews and info.
- Penguin Books
- ACHUKA - UK Educational Book Reviews - Comprehensive resource.
Other reference web sites
- Conjunctions - joining words.
- The Most Common Spelling, Grammar & Punctuation Mistakes - superb resource.
- English Grammar - the rules of sentence construction.
- Grammar information - excellent collection.
Last Updated: 12/07/2016